To duplicate tubes or make aliquots of existing stock, you can clone samples. To clone a sample, open the sample information sheet and click on Clone.
In the pop-up window, you define how many tubes you want to add of this sample. You can set the following clone settings:
- Number of samples – the number of tubes or aliquots you want to add of the sample you are cloning (required)
- Sample quantity – the quantity of each tube that you are adding to the system (only available with the Supplies module)
- Storage location – the location (or starting location within a box) where the samples will be stored
- Clone setting – choose whether to add tubes as single samples or group them in a sample series
- Track parent in cloned sample - create a reference to the parent sample to track each clone's lineage
- Generate name based on your auto-numbering settings - applies the auto-numbering setting from existing sample's type to the cloned sample (Note: users must first activate this option in the sample type's Settings page)
After defining your clone settings, click Clone to add the cloned samples to the system.
When choosing the clone as a series option, several series-specific options will become available:
- Include the current sample in series – the sample you are cloning will be included in the created sample series
- Sample series name – the name of the sample series (Note: the name of the created samples will be identical to the sample you are cloning; when auto-numbering is active, the name will state the range of samples)
- Incremental name – add an incremental number behind or in front of the name of each sample cloned to the sample series
- Generate name based on your auto-numbering settings - applies the auto-numbering setting from existing sample's type to the cloned sample (Note: when this is active, the "Incremental name" field will be hidden to avoid conflicted incremental naming schemes)
After cloning a sample, the clones will be stored in the selected location.
If the option to track parent in cloned sample was checked when cloning a sample, the parent sample from which the clones were derived is automatically linked and displayed on the sample information sheet of each cloned sample.