For a seamless integration of viewing or editing files linked in the ELN, you can install the eLabJournal add-on eLABWebEdit. eLABWebEdit is a desktop application that is installed on your computer. Start by downloading eLABWebEdit here and install eLABWebEdit on your computer. Go to Apps and Connections
In the Apps and Connection, you can activate eLABWebEdit by switching it to On.
After activating eLABWebEdit, the option to edit the file will appear in the file section of the ELN. Almost all types of files are compatible with eLABWebEdit.
If your file type is not supported, please send your request to our support desk.
When editing a file using eLABWebEdit for the first time, your browser will ask for a confirmation about opening the file using eLABWebEdit. Accept and confirm to launch the application and check the option to remember the confirmation. Please note that depending on the security settings, your IT department may first need to allow eLABWebEdit to be accessed from the browser.
eLABWebEdit will be started, the file will be download and opened with the file associated program.
You can work on the file like when you are working on any regular file stored on your desktop PC. Once you are finished modifying the file you can save the file. A new version of your file will automatically be uploaded in the ELN section from where the file was opened. In compliance with GLP, the previous file version will be kept in the archive so you can trace the entire file audit trail.
Note that when using this feature, the file will have a very long and specific file name once it is downloaded for editing on your desktop. You should only use the 'Save' functionality of the program and never use 'Save as' to change the location and/or name of the file. Failure doing so will cause eLABWebEdit to lose track of your file and will no longer be able to update and upload the file to your experiment.
Office auto-save function
Note that when your program supports an auto-save function such as Microsoft Office, please note that every auto-save stores a new version. When the auto-save option is set to 5 minutes, every 5 minutes there will be a complete new version uploaded and linked into the ELN. We recommend considering changing the auto-save time, especially when working with large data files. Read about this setting for the following programs:
- eLABWebEdit does not open the file - Check if the file is already opened in another screen
- eLABWebEdit does not open the file - Close the program in which you will be editing the file and open the file from eLAB to trigger a restart of eLABWebEdit
- eLABWebEdit does not open the file - Restart your computer to make sure the file is not locked
- eLABWebEdit gives download error - Your organisation security/firewall blocks the downloading of files from eLAB via eLABWebEdit. This problem can not be solved by Bio-ITech and needs your organisation to whitelist communication with eLABWebEdit.
- eLABWebEdit opens the file in the wrong program - Programs are opened in the default program in Windows to change these settings please have a look here
In case these solutions do not resolve your issues with eLABWebEdit issues, please contact Bio-ITech and include the eLABWebEdit log files. To retrieve the log files, open eLABWebEdit from your system tray and click the eLABWebEdit icon
Select Open Logs Folder
A windows opens with the log eLABWebEdit Log files.