Adding Custom Fields
When adding a custom sample type, it contains 4 fields by default including the Sample Name, Description, Storage Location and a Notes field. If your lab has access to the QuantityTracking Module, the quantity field is also present. You can further customize the sample type by adding any field in the sample type template. To add a custom field, click Add New Field. Note that you can also choose to add one of the predefined templates in the system and customize that by removing or adding fields.
In the appeared window you can select the type of field you want to add to the sample type template. The following field types are supported:
- Short Text Field - an open text field that can contain up to 255 characters
- Long Text Field - a text area that can contain up to 2000 characters
- Numeric Field - a text field that can only contain numbers
- Date Field - a field with a date picker to enter a date
- Date and Time Field - a field with a date and time picker to enter a date and time
- Dropdown Menu Field - an option field to select one option from a list of fixed options
- Checkbox Field - an option field to select one or more options from a list of fixed options
- Radio Button Field - an option field to select one option from a shortlist of fixed options
- File Attachment Field - a field to upload and link files or images to a sample
- Sample Link Field - a field to create a link to another sample in the lab inventory
Note that each of these fields supports different field options that can be set when adding the custom field.